Monday, May 19, 2014

Quitting (Beth B)

Is it me or is May insanely busy? I truly believe that at some point during this month, I will bump into myself. It feels like we are running in circles. Usually this stresses me out but not this year. I am quitting. I quit the things in my life that were not worth the stress. And so for the first time, this running around is really quite enjoyable.
I am constantly running into people who tell me that they wish they could quit. I really can't tell them anything but "Well, do it then." Take a cold hard look at your finances, your lifestyle and your schedule. See what things you could reasonably give up and then, if possible, quit.
I'm not just talking about jobs here either. Quit teaching Sunday School if it is a spiritual and emotional drain. Quit planting a garden, going to exercise class, unhealthy relationships, pleasing everyone, etc. etc. Some of these things can be great, but if you are doing things out of a fake obligation, then stop doing them.
Perhaps, the hardest thing to accept, is that someone else might take over for you and do a much better job. Instead of being threatened by that, you need to realize this fact meant that you were indeed supposed to quit.
The plus side is that you are then freed to give fully to the things and people that matter the most to you! It is an indescribable freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!