Monday, February 10, 2014

...... listening.

When I say listening, I mean listening like you did when your moma said, "Now listen here! You had better get to your room and start that homework or you and I are gonna have a problem." Your moma wasn't asking to be heard.  She was asking you to DO SOMETHING!!!
The other day I sat down with a tiny book and read it in one sitting.  One hundred and twenty four pages, about 2 or three hours and it was done. I was cold, so I didn't want to get up anyway.  But it was also a really great little book, and a very easy read.
It is called, Just Do Something, by Kevin DeYoung. The full title, "Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will or How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Impressions, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, Etc."
 Just Do Something Click HERE to get it on amazon


I think you can guess where he is going with the title.  He talks about how we flounder searching for God's will when sometimes we need to JUST DO SOMETHING! God's ready to lead and guide us wherever we go, whatever we do, and however we choose to get there. Of course, we need to be wise and follow the directives He gives in his Word, but like I said in a previous post, we need to just JUMP!
 This author points out that we can get so caught up in trying to figure out our idea of God's will, that we DO NOTHING! We think there is this perfect "will" out there that is mysterious and we have to be crazy careful to figure it out or...... or....what....?  We feel the WRATH?  Now that is maybe how it felt when your moma told you to listen or else! But it is not always how God is! He gives us guidelines and then sets us free to make choices! WE ARE FREE IN CHRIST! Free to make choices, free to even mess up! He can even work through our mistakes.
In the book the author uses the example of living in place "A" or place "B".  We have to know that God can lead us to one or the other, but He can also work and use us in EITHER sometimes and we may have to just make a choice and trust Him to work.
I could go on and on with examples but I think you probably know how to apply this! JUST DO SOMETHING! Our gracious God is okay with us making mistakes too! I am so often afraid of taking risks! BUT I am also afraid of being afraid! He is helping me to step out there.... and ......do something.

What are you going to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!