Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Leaving Junior High (Beth B)

Do you remember junior high? I do. (And I praise the Lord that I don't have any junior high pictures that Beth P can get her hands on and put on this post!!)  My experience wasn't as bad as some. I have heard complete horror stories from some "survivors" of junior high. Even though my experience wasn't that rough, I still would never want to go back to those days. In fact, I have never met a person who would like to return. It was a time of overwhelming peer pressure. We wanted to act in such a way that we would get noticed and be invisible at the same time. Fashion, phrases, and possessions became measures of popularity. Relationships determined your entire worth. Cool girls had boyfriends (meaning you sat next to a guy at lunch or you passed them those silly notes!). The whole culture in junior high was based on peer approval. No wonder, we never want to return. The criteria for "Coolness" is ever-changing and never satisfied. It is emotionally exhausting.

So, I ask you: what is the difference between junior high and our fear of what others will think of us? I know that sounds harsh but I see so many of us almost crippled with concern over other people's opinions. We catch ourselves apologizing for acting in ways that may make people think we are not nice enough or generous enough, etc. etc.etc. We will never ever make everyone like us. Their standards are too demanding and not worth the personal sacrifices. Instead of chasing after popular approval, why don't we chase after the things that please God? His yoke is easy and He will never reject you. Pursuing God's way will probably cost you the "Cool" status but it will bring you so much more joy. It's time that we all graduated from junior high.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments!